Wil Wheaton sums it up in a new blog post:
- Be kind. Not just to others, but to yourself.
- Be honest.
- Be honorable.
- Work hard. Everything worth doing is hard.
- Try not to be the smartest person in the room. Keep learning.
- Always do your best. Your best will vary from day to day and that’s okay.
- It isn’t enough to stand up for yourself. You have to stand up for others.
- Don’t be a dick.
You can read the entire thing here.
And if that doesn’t work out for you, there’s always William Burroughs’ Words of advice to young people.